As we know that trademark registration is not compulsory in India but it is advisable to register it. Because when setting up a business then a brand name, its identity and logo play a very important role for any business. Everyone is knows that a unique brand name and logo is the most valuable asset for the business. Trademark registration protects your brand name and logo from misuse or duplication by others or from your competitors.
Trademark your company’s logo is a legal and complex process that requires expert legal assistance. There is always a one question arising “Can we trademark a logo online?” and the answer of this question is “Yes”. But before start the trademark registration process, you must ensure that the logo you are going to trademark is actually available. For this, you can use trademark search portal of IPR database.
Now we start the trademark registration process and the process of online trademark registration is as follows:
- Choose a logo you want to trademark: If you’ve already made your choice, you still have to take another step. To ensure that the logo is registered, you have to make sure that it’s unique. Conduct a trademark search to ascertain the uniqueness of your decided logo.
- Write a description of the logo: A logo has a definite shape, definite nuances and a definite structure that can be explained in words. Find a good trademark agent who can help you paint a picture of your logo through words.
- File the application of trademark application: Go online and file the application of trademark registration. Attach the following documents:
- A scanned copy of the logo.
- Your Identity proof.
- Your address proof.
- The id proof of the expert who is filing the application on your behalf.
- The address proof of the expert who is filing the application on your behalf.
- Monitor the status of your application: Once you file the trademark application, you’ll receive a trademark application number that you can then use to check the status of your application later on. Always keep a sharp eye on the status; it will help you take a pro-active move if you see something that you don’t like.
- Wait for the application to be processed: Once the application is filed, it will be processed for 30-40 days. Then, you’ll either get the application status as objected or accepted. Don’t be scared if you receive objection status, it’s common and you only have to file a trademark reply within 30 days of receiving the notification.
- Publishing of trademark in the journal: Once the trademark is accepted – either naturally or after filing the reply – it will be published in the trademark journal. There, it will remain so for the next 4 months during which, the general public will be able to see that. If a third party among them raises objection during this time, trademark opposition proceedings will, well…..proceed. If nothing happens, your trademark will be registered.
It’s definitely a roller coaster – the process of registering your trademark. Thus, you shouldn’t try commit to it alone. Contact our trademark experts and let guide your trademark to the pedestal of a registered trademark.